I got a strawberry pie recipe from one of my best friends years ago. Honestly, it is award winning with it’s cookie like crust and to die for glaze, who doesn’t love strawberry pie. But this pie has been elevated to very special status in our house. My friend Carol gave me this hand written recipe and it was so used over the years and stained that I no longer have the original which breaks my heart because Carol is no longer with us and her recipes ( I have a few of them) are a tangible way for me to celebrate who she was in my own little way. Every July I make a strawberry pie and remember my friend.
But now I had to alter it. Heavy sigh…
That buttery cookie crust got altered up:
- I cup almond flour (sometimes called almond meal)
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 2/3 cup (or more) of coconut oil (sometimes I mix it up and use half coconut oil and 1/2 earth balance and I’ve even used butter on those bold days when I take a chance on dairy)
- 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup.
Mix the flours, add the coconut oil, and blend it with a flat blade of your mixer or food processor, as it blends, pour in the maple syrup. Mine came out crumbly, perfect for pressing into the pan.
Bake at 375 for 10 – 13 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool.
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries, washed hulled and sliced if really big.
- 1/2 cup water ( I’ve used a fruity white wine with excellent results)
- 1/4 cup honey or syrop (more if you prefer it sweeter)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large tablespoon corn starch
Take about a cup of strawberries ( I use the ugly or over ripe ones) and toss them in the blender. Add the water, lemon juice, syrop and corn starch and blend on high til well mixed. Pour into a pan and cook on medium until sauce becomes thick and clear.
Take fresh strawberries and arrange in cooled pie shell. Pour glaze over top of berries, letting it drip down between them and let cool in the fridge before serving. If you are dairy free, a nice dollop of coconut milk ( the hard part at the top of the can) is a nice touch.